Nereen Kaur Veriah is a litigation and alternative dispute resolution lawyer who specialises in buiding and construction disputes.
Nereen Kaur Veriah is also an empaneled arbitrator with several arbitration centres, including the Asian International Arbitration Centre (AIAC) and Thailand Arbitration Centre (THAC).
She regularly receives appointments as arbitrator, particularly in respect of building and construction disputes.
- Dispute on the construction of a landmark bridge project in Malaysia under the statutory adjudication regime in Malaysia.
- Dispute in respect of the construction of an oil and gas platform (relating to additional works).
- Dispute relating to the construction of a cable stay bridge involving numerous inter-related work packages and excessive delays and defects in works.
- Advising on the structural integrity of a rail network and perusal of technical expert reports to determine extent of liability as a result of excessive soil movement.
- Successfully resisting a setting aside application on a jurisdictional point thereby upholding the right to refer FPSO disputes to adjudication under the statutory adjudication regime in Malaysia.
- Involved in several High Court applications and trials as well as appeals at the Court of Appeal representing building and construction companies in respect of claims for monies wrongfully withheld, extensions of time, variation works, under-payment and damages for defective works.
- Dispute between a port authority and its contractors in respect of the development and construction of a port (dispute over defective execution of work involving several contractors).
- Numerous domestic arbitrations in respect of construction dispute relating to variation of works and LAD charges.
- Advisory work on a multi-party dispute in respect of failed demolition works-advising foreign architectural firm.
- Drafting construction contracts for a national sports complex and successfully negotiating and incorporating clauses on variations and anticipated costs in favour of the client.
- Advisory work for a Malaysian Government Agency in respect of the construction of a secure facility and preparation of bespoke Main Contract, Project Management Contract and related consultancy contracts for the Government Agency to cater for specific requirements of the Government Agency (including clauses in respect of extension of time events, the scope of liquidated ascertained damages and termination).
- Resisting a highly-contested defamation action against a state-owned company and achieving an amicable settlement for the state-owned company.
- Civil suit against former bank employees for misappropriation of funds and obtaining a monetary settlement for the client.
- Advisory work for clients in respect of the enforcement of foreign judgments against a local company under common law.
- Obtaining injunctive relief for a statutory body against individuals who posed as authorized trading officers in futures contracts.
- Investigating and assessing the paper-trail as well as carrying out advisory work in respect of multi-layer fraud (involving a multi-million-dollar scam) committed by the former directors of a company.
- Currently pursuing her LLM with Queen Mary London on International Dispute Resolution (Intake for the Year 2019-2021)
- Member, Malaysian Bar.
- Council Member, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators, 2017/2018.
- Hon Secretary, The Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators 2019-2021
- Fellow, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- Author, “The Big Picture-Incorporation of an Arbitration Clause by Inference”, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators Newsletter, July 2013
- Author, “The case of Mohamed Azahari Mantiasin-Will the Right to Choose One’s Representation in Sabah be Limited?”, Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators Newsletter, July 2014