Evelyn is a Partner with the Corporate Commercial practice group of Christopher & Lee Ong. She graduated from the University of Malaya in 2012 and was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 2013.
Evelyn’s areas of practice are mainly corporate, banking and finance and real estate. She has also advised banks and companies on ship finance transactions. Some of the transactions which she has been involved in are as follows:
Banking & Finance
- Assisted on the preparation of conventional and Islamic documentation for domestic financing transactions in Ringgit Malaysia for corporate borrowers and individuals.
- Advised foreign and local companies on foreign exchange administration issues, especially in relation to borrowings and guarantees.
- Advised a financial institution on derivatives transactions and various trade financing facilities.
- Acted for a Malaysian lender in relation to a bank guarantee facility of RM56.3 million for the issuance of a performance bond in favour of the Controller of Housing in relation to the construction, development of the residential development project named Coral Bay @ Sutera.
- Acted for a Malaysian lender in relation to a term loan facility and combined trade facility of up to RM18.83 million to finance the purchase of industrial land in Gombak, Selangor (“Land”) and the construction cost of a factory on the said Land.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for a Singapore lender and a Singapore fund in relation to a term loan facility of up to SGD20 million for, amongst others, the acquisition of a food and beverage company.
- Acted for a Malaysian lender in relation to a short-term facility of up to RM90 million granted to Dayang Enterprise Bhd to bridge the Islamic Term Notes principal repayment of its subsidiary, Perdana Petroleum Berhad.
- Acted for the Labuan Branch of a Singapore bank in the restructuring of a term loan facility of up to USD15.15 million granted to a subsidiary of Perdana Petroleum Berhad.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to the lenders in relation to an approximately USD 10.4 billion syndicated loan to project finance the development of a petrochemical and refinery project in Malaysia.
- Acted as Malaysian legal counsel to a Singapore lender in relation to a SGD loan taken by a Singapore company to indirectly finance the purchase of a tanker ship.
- Acted for three Malaysian banks in the restructuring of approximately RM900 million facilities taken by a Malaysian group with the said Malaysian banks. The security to be provided for the restructured facilities include the ship mortgage over 23 vessels owned by the Malaysian group.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for local and foreign parties in mergers and acquisitions transactions of local private companies in various sectors including manufacturing, food and beverage and service industries.
- Assisted on the legal due diligence exercise for the secondary listing of Top Glove Corporation Bhd on the Main board of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited by way of Introduction on 28 June 2016.
- Assisted on the legal due diligence exercise in respect of the bonus issue and establishment of a share grant plan by a Malaysian public listed company.
- Acted for one of the subsidiaries of Quill Group in relation to the sale of its property in Gombak for a consideration of RM118 million.
- Acted for one of the subsidiaries of Quill Group in relation to the sale of the building known as Quill 18 in Cyberjaya to Pelaburan Hartanah Berhad for a consideration of RM455 million.
- Acted for one of the subsidiaries of Jabil group in the purchase of a factory for a consideration of RM36 million.
- Acted for an oil and gas company in the sale of several of its branded service stations and equipment.
- Acted for a foreign company in the sale of its property and equipment by way of tender.
- Advised companies and individuals on real estate transactions.
Personal Data Protection
- Conducted end-to-end compliance exercises on the Personal Data Protection Act for several multinational companies involved in, amongst others, logistics, housing development and chemical production.
- Advised a local company on the warehouse licencing requirements at a Malaysian free zone area
- Advised and assisted an oil and gas company in the application of a petroleum development licence in Malaysia
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Malaysia Bar
- “How does the new RPGT regime affect you?”, the Sun (Legally Speaking Column), November 2013
- Co-authored Lending and taking security in Malaysia: overview, Practical Law, 2015 & 2016
- Contributed to the chapter on Banking and Finance in the Doing Business in Malaysia guide published by the firm at http://www.christopherleeong.com/our-work/publications
- Co-authored Malaysia – Banking Regulation 2017”, Global Legal Insights, 2017
- “Changes to Merchant Shipping Ordinance”, the Sun (Legally Speaking Column), June 2018